🗺 Company Overview
No one should have to make life’s big decisions alone.
At Unibuddy, we're on a mission to connect prospective students to current university students and staff. Shared experience empowers students with the information they need to make life’s first biggest decision: where to go to university and what to study.
Since launching in 2017, we’ve grown rapidly and now work with over 450 Higher Education institutions in 35 countries worldwide. We’ve raised over $33M from top-tier investors that will fuel our expansion and help us achieve our ambitious goal of empowering 10 million students to make the right choice about their Higher Education journey.
We're looking for people to help us supercharge our growth, while we continue to embody the values that have got us so far already.
🧗🏾♂️ Your Mission
This is a really exciting time to join us and make a huge impact for 10 million students by empowering them to make the right choice about their higher-ed journey. We need the best for our Platform Squad. The team builds the platform that allows the product squads to flourish. You'll be on the front-line of experimenting with new technologies, collaborating with every engineering discipline.
You'll find a team that turns ideas & design into products with impact. They're focused on personal development and you will find an environment where you can learn, ask questions, and apply what you’ve discovered, and ship it to production every day.
👩🏻🔧 Your day to day tasks will be…
- Identifying, designing, and implementing continuous improvements to our build, test, and deploy solutions as the organisation and platform grow.
- Designing and building core cross-cutting services and components to support the whole engineering organisation.
- Ensuring the ongoing performance, scalability, and reliability of Unibuddy’s solutions.
- Driving Change; finding solutions to scaling, security, and systems architecture challenges arising due to growth of our engineering organisation and customer base.
- Quality and consistency: consistently deliver high-quality solutions and leading quality initiatives across the organisation.
- Mentorship: working with other engineers to help them to develop their skills in your areas of expertise.
- Constant Learning: keeping up to date on industry standards in architecture, security, code build, test, delivery, operational monitoring and related areas.
- Knowledge Sharing: keep the rest of the organisation up to date and well informed about these areas.
- An external point of contact: providing guidance on architecture, operations, and security issues to the wider organisation.
👨🏽💻This might be for you if…
- You have 4+ years of experience in engineering roles, with exposure to DevOps, security, solution design, and a variety of programming languages.
- You encourage diversity of thought, value opinions of all engineers, and openly communicate and collaborate.
- Experience of CI/CD solutions and how to operationalise these within a distributed multi-team engineering organisation.
- Experience with cloud providers, infrastructure as code, and service-based architectures.
- Experience of using Docker to deliver software services into production environments or any other containerisation tools.
- Understanding of trends in operational architectures; serverless, event-streaming, monitoring practices.
- Knowledge a variety of modern back-end build, test, and deployment tools
- Knowledge of industry-standard coding practices.
It'd be a plus if you can bring…
- Knowledge of Spring, MongoDB, SQL Database, node.js
- Knowledge of modern front-end build, test, and deployment tools
- Knowledge of AWS deployments and services
If you don't fully understand our stack, the most important thing is that you’re willing and eager to learn! If you don't meet all the requirements but think you might still be right for the role, please apply anyway. We're always keen to speak to people who connect with our mission and values.
🎁 What's on offer
- Salary of £65k - £80k plus stock options.
- Highly flexible work culture, hybrid of home working and in the office for 20% - 60% of your week or we can offer this position fully remote across the UK
- Private healthcare provided by Bupa.
- Life insurance.
- Mental health support provided by Spill.
- Flexible working hours because life happens!
- Learning & development budget of £800 for books, conferences, courses, or any other ways you like to learn! With time in your working week dedicated to development activities.
- 25 days of annual leave plus 4 additional days for the Christmas break and national holidays.
- Family friendly policy. Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
- Latest MacBook or PC. Monitor for your home is also provided.
- Home working setup. If you need a desk, chair, headphones or keyboard & mouse we have you covered with our generous budget of £405.
And as an Engineer...
- Monthly squad learning days
- 2 weeks of personal project time annually. Build what you want!
- Enhanced equipment budget. We supply you with a laptop with the highest specs to enable you to work best.
✉️ Ready to apply?
Great! Please send a CV and supporting statement which outlines why you would like to work with Unibuddy, and why you are well suited to this role. We encourage you to send us something that showcases your skills, a link to your GitHub or Stack Overflow is encouraged. Impress us.
Not ready to apply or have some questions? Then please get in touch with Yasmin, Talent Acquisition Manager at
🛂 Please note that Unibuddy does not sponsor visas for this role.
Unibuddy is an equal opportunity employer. We're actively looking to increase the diversity of our buddies across the company and we encourage people to apply from minority groups.