Who we are
tails.com is a tech-centric startup, using the power of technology combined with applied nutritional science to change the world of dog food for good.
So much more than just a website, our intelligent systems formulate and fulfil bespoke, individually optimised blends of food for each dog, and we evolve that blend over time to match the dog’s constantly changing nutritional needs. Orders are delivered direct to owners' doorsteps every month all across the country; every bag of food that leaves our blending facility is totally unique.
We launched to the public in July 2014 and are well on our way to changing the face of pet food in the UK, with ambitions beyond our shores. tails.com offers you the opportunity to shape something truly innovative and new, joining an experienced team with with a mix of talent throughout the business from Amazon, Arts Alliance Media, graze.com and innocent drinks (yes, those delicious smoothies with the wooly hats).
We are well funded too, with investments from across the UK startup scene including Jam Jar (a.k.a the Innocent Drinks founders) and Octopus Ventures.
Tech stack + team
We own the entire tech stack behind tails.com: the website, the blend algorithm, the billing and subscription engines, right through to the intelligent systems that run the physical fulfilment process in our blending room.
Our tech stack is Python (Flask + SQLAlchemy + Celery) on the backend along with a smattering of Go, with Redis, MySQL and S3 for data storage. The platform itself is comprised of multiple applications and services all hosted in our AWS VPC on a mixture of bare EC2, Elastic Beanstalk, AWS Lambda and (increasingly) EC2 Container Service. We have a propensity to ship early and often, so we push multiple deployments live per day through our CI/CD pipelines.
Although we’ve been trading for over 2 years we are still a startup, so you'll have a huge impact on the architecture of the tech platform and the shape of the team team as they evolve.
Our technical co-founders come from senior hands-on positions at Amazon, Arts Alliance Media, and Zoopla, so we have a great software engineering ethos and it's an excellent environment in which to thrive as a developer.
Who we’re looking for
We're looking for someone who is willing to get stuck in, and yet also wants to learn, grow and develop themselves and their career. We're looking for people with a passion for technology that get a kick out of building products and releasing them. You'll get involved in all aspects of a project or feature, from pitching in ideas to speccing, building, releasing, monitoring and everything in between.
Language-wise, we're agnostic. If you're coming from a non-Python background then a willingness to learn Python is a must, but beyond that we're ultimately looking for smart people who enjoy solving real problems.
In terms of specific skills, we’re looking for someone who: * has commercial experience with Python, Ruby or modern object-oriented PHP, with a strong desire to develop their programming skills * understands software design patterns, and knows when to use them (and when not to) * is able to deftly navigate a linux server environment on the command line * can roll up their sleeves and write functional and efficient SQL
Ideally, you’d also have:
- production-level experience with at least one modern web application framework, such as Flask, Django, Rails or Laravel
- experience with ORM frameworks like SQLAlchemy, Active Record or Eloquent
- an understanding of asynchronous distributed task queues like Celery, Resque or Gearman
- familiarity with git or another decentralised version control system
- experience working with cloud-based platforms such as AWS, GCC or Azure
- strong written and verbal communication skills
What we’re offering
We offer a competitive salary in line with experience, plus significant equity share. Other benefits include:
- a £2k budget to buy whatever kit you need
- a personal development budget for training, conferences, books, etc.
- unlimited breakfast goodies and snacks
- a relaxed, dog-friendly office environment
- free tailor-made food for your dog and discounted food for friends and family
- stunning office in leafy Richmond (London) with great transport links
- regular Friday after-work drinks and team events