We're looking for a Senior UI Designer with a prototyping mindset to join our design team and help shape the next phase of our 'CAD tool for biology', Antha.
Named by the World Economic Forum as one of the world's 30 Technology Pioneers 2016, and one of Gartner's 'Cool Vendors in Life Sciences' 2018, Synthace is completely revolutionising biology in a way that has never been done before!
This is made possible through our revolutionary cloud based platform for designing biological experiments, simulating them, translating instructions for automated lab equipment, and visualising complex data sets from the results. All of this is done by Antha, which is already impacting how scientists work with biology in major companies like Microsoft, BASF, Merck and GSK.
Antha lowers the level of entry for scientists wanting to introduce automation to their work, while allowing specialist technicians to get even more out of the existing equipment in the labs. It is directly contributing to faster, more efficient research into hard to cure diseases such as Cancer.
If social impact is important to you, it doesn't get much better than this.
What you'll be doing:
Working closely with the UX Lead, within a highly multidisciplinary team spanning the full range from design and software to biological engineering, you will have overall responsibility for the user experience as well as detailed design of user interface components for our React-based webapp and associated applications.
You will be modelling consistency and user centricity, and your work will involve UI design, web design and UX.
As a member of a lean startup culture you will want to work closely with the domain specialists in our team, being highly proactive in understanding and eliciting user and business requirements to gain deep understanding of the problem domain.
You will be collaborative, creative, willing to test, refine, throw away and start over to ensure you deliver high quality results - a sophisticated platform that biologists want to use, and are able to intuitively understand.
- Excellent visual design skills with a strong portfolio (ideally containing a range of projects across different domains)
- Expertise in appropriate tools e.g. Sketch, Illustrator
- Proven UI design experience of multi-page applications with complex user journeys
- Proven ability to get to grips with a complex problem domain
- Experience of creating UI patterns, design systems, component libraries, etc.
- You're detail oriented, with an understanding of implementation constraints on interfaces
- You enjoy being hands-on
- You're a self-starter
- You enjoy problem solving
Bonus points for:
- Data visualisation experience
- Knowledge of material design principles
- Experience in icon & motion design
- Experience working on B2B projects
Why work at Synthace:
- Work with genuinely extraordinary people
- Ongoing personal growth & development opportunities
- Open, collaborative, and friendly culture
- Challenging, groundbreaking and exciting work
- Chance to be a part of the 'fourth industrial revolution', helping us to create tools and systems that allow scientists to do things like cure Cancer faster!