We're looking for Senior Site Reliability Engineers to join our development team and help lead the introduction of SRE into this early stage, rapidly growing business.
You know and value your craft and want to apply it to a mission that matters. You will have significant influence on the business as you work with the rest of the team to help to build this critical function and instil a site reliability mindset across the whole engineering team.
You'll be as happy working with developers on architectural decisions to drive performance and reliability as you are working on infrastructure automation, monitoring and problem diagnosis. You will be an expert voice in team discussions and an important contributor in operational and quality processes and tactics.
As part of this new team you will also champion the SRE way of thinking to drive quality across our stack from our client applications user to the control of robots in the lab and all services in between. You will help both our software and wetlab teams embed observability and reliability into everything we build.
Named by the World Economic Forum as one of the world's 30 Technology Pioneers 2016, Synthace is re-imagining how we work with biology, exponentially improving the speed and quality of the final results. This is made possible through our high level language and operating system for labs, Antha, which is already impacting how scientists work with biology in major companies like Dow, Merck and GSK.
Synthace now has a proven product in the market and is starting to grow its customer base more rapidly. This is the right time for the company to instil practices, processes and tools that will ensure performance and reliability as we enter the next phase for the business.
Reporting to the Head of SRE, you'll be working within a tight-knit development team on exciting projects with plenty of technical challenges to get your teeth into.
- Ensure systems scale effectively through mechanisms like automation, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Harden our existing production environments and introduce good practice and processes for continuous improvement
- Troubleshoot, test, and maintain high-performance and scalable microservices in a global, federated container cluster
- Master our current technology stack which includes: Kapitan, Spinnaker, Kubernetes Federation, Go, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Docker.
- Be an advocate for SRE practices across the development team and provide practical guidance
- Monitor and maintain our production system
- Help own (with the development team) the processes and automation infrastructure which ensures high quality continuous releases of reliable infrastructure for our customers
- Prior experience in relevant role (SRE, DevOps) in an environment when you have been responsible for designing/architecting tooling and automation
- Experience with Kubernetes (preferred), Cloud (AWS, GCP preferred), Docker and monitoring solutions
- Experience with Spinnaker and/or Kapitan is also a plus, but not mandatory
- Experience supporting and troubleshooting Production applications in distributed environments (or similar)
- It's an advantage if you've moved into SRE from a Software Engineering background and/or you're well versed in any of the following programming languages: Go, C, C++, Java, or Python
- You are committed to delivering high quality software to a tight schedule
- You have excellent communication skills and thrive in fast-paced, multidisciplinary environments
- Bonus points for some background and/or interest in biology, but this isn't a must have for you to succeed
Why work at Synthace:
- Work with genuinely extraordinary people
- Open, collaborative, and friendly culture
- Challenging, groundbreaking and exciting work
- Chance to be a part of the 'fourth industrial revolution', helping us to create tools and systems that allow scientists to do things like cure Cancer faster!