Who are Opensignal?
Opensignal, a mobile analytics company, is the global standard for measuring real-world mobile network experience. Using billions of measurements collected 24/7 from tens of millions of smartphones, we analyse real-world mobile network experience at the largest scale and frequency in the wireless industry. We believe measuring how the network performs directly through users’ eyes is key to building better wireless networks. Our insights are used across the industry by mobile operators, telecoms regulators, equipment manufacturers and analysts. We have done business across six continents and have driven press headlines in 80 countries, in an industry impacting the lives of billions around the world.
Founded in 2010, Opensignal is a high-growth global company harnessing the power of mobile technologies and big data analytics to redefine how the mobile industry measures network performance. We’re part of the Global Telecoms ‘Power 100’, TechCity Future Fifty, and backed by an impressive portfolio of investors.
We're headquartered in London, UK, where you’ll find most of our employees, but the teams you'll work with are global. A truly international team, our ‘Opensignalers’ work across four continents, and represent over 25 nationalities.
Find out more by visiting our website.
Purpose of the role
We’re looking for a Data Engineer to join our Metrics Squad in transforming our real-world raw data into valuable and credible industry-leading metrics that provide insights to our analysts and our customers. You would be joining the team at a critical time as 5G begins to roll out across the globe and we lead the analysis into what this experience really looks like for customers.
As a Data Engineer, you will be responsible for:
The creation and computation of our metrics. Working closely with our data scientists and our data engineers to create the metrics that are responsible for the pipeline that translates our raw data into usable insights that drive our business.
As well as driving the creation of new 5G metrics, we are also looking at ways to optimise our pipeline and keep our tech stack fresh.
We expect our Data Engineers to:
- Own and improve our data pipeline. Assemble large, complex data sets that meet business requirements, with engineering best practices in mind.
- Champion building scalable and resilient data infrastructure, as well as tools to extract and transform data used by stakeholders and customers.
- Be sensitive to GDPR concerns for data within the platform.
- Have a continuous improvement mindset when it comes to both the platform and the process.
- Work efficiently, automate manual processes where possible and take a test-driven approach to engineering.
- Take a keen interest in improving the platform’s scalability while understanding the cost.
- Be a good team player, with an agile approach and a can-do attitude.
- Keep yourself current and make sure we follow best practices and engineering standards.
- Be an advocate for the platform and its health. Take ownership of your work from conception through to support.
- Be detail orientated and understand the importance of the credibility of our metrics. Document and communicate with stakeholders in a language understood by all.
What we need from you
As a Data Engineer, we would expect you to have previous experience in manipulating, processing, storing and extracting value from big data.
- Experience with big data tools, specifically Apache Spark.
- Experience with relational SQL databases. Prior experience with Postgres or desirably, AWS Athena (Presto).
- Experience with SQL query authoring.
- Experience with data pipeline/workflow tools i.e. Apache Airflow.
- Experience with AWS cloud services like EC2, S3, managed Kubernetes and Aurora.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python and desirably Scala.
- Experience in writing tests, especially in BDD style and working with Git.
- Strong analytic skills in working with unstructured datasets.
- Experience in root cause analysis of data when asked to answer specific business questions.
- Experience building and optimising 'big data' data pipelines.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams.
- Strong self-organisational skills
- Experience being part of a cross-functional team, using agile methodologies.
- Competitive salary and stock options to share our growth
- Matched-contribution based pension scheme, company-wide bonus, private healthcare (including wellbeing subscriptions and discounted gym membership), life insurance, cycle to work scheme and MacBook
- Constant exposure to learning opportunities in your role and the ability to make an impact from day one
- £1000 learning budget with access to a learning platform providing access to thousands of opportunities to spend it on – from conferences to courses and training, and regular 'Opensessions' (internal learning talks)
- Our 'Opensignalers' - an ambitious, focused and friendly team backed by some of Europe's top investors
- 25 days holiday per year, enhanced parental leave, and generous flexible working culture
- Regular all-company virtual events – from team lunches, ‘Openclubs’ (from our book club to photography club), regular company town halls and socials)
- Due to the pandemic, we are working remotely, but do have an HQ office space available to use if needed. Our HQ is in Angel, central London, filled with fresh fruit, coffee and an abundance of snacks and drinks, set in an area buzzing with coffee shops, eateries and local market.