We are notonthehighstreet. Home to over 5000 of the UK’s best small creative businesses, we have been changing the online retail landscape since 2006. Whether you’re working with our Partners to help grow their business, or behind the scenes developing code, we are continuously innovating & working on some really cool stuff all at the same time. And the best bit? We’re making a difference to our Partners’ lives as we do it.
We’re about to embark on an ambitious new phase of development to advance our technology, including platform re-architecture to serverless microservices, rewriting the front-end and introducing new big data & machine learning platforms. It’s an exciting time and we need to strengthen and grow our teams!
As Senior Java Engineer you will join one of our engineering teams building a new set of micro services and front end for Not on The High Street customers, partners and internal users.
Some of the things you’ll be doing
- Writing, testing and maintaining quality code
- Working with a small, empowered cross-functional team to deliver business value
- Making a significant contribution to defining, maintaining and improving our architecture and best practices
- Designing and building systems which are performant and secure
- Providing support for other team members through code review, pairing and mentoring
- Be part of our success and make a difference
Some key skills + experience you’ll need
- Java 8 or later, Spring Framework, REST
- Cloud Technologies (preferably AWS)
- Experience with event driven architectures
- Keen software engineering approach and very good object-oriented design ability
- Desire to work closely with the business, learn new things and teach others
- Ability to take ownership of a project or issue, analyse it and solve problems not faced before
- TDD and functional programming
- BDD with Cucumber and Selenium
- Experience with agile development methodologies
- Champion of modern development practices and tools, e.g. Continuous Delivery with Jenkins, Source Control with Git, AWS Infrastructure etc
- Previous e-commerce experience would also be beneficial
What we can offer you
Because we know how important learning is, we provide the Tech team with online training and time set aside to complete course work, guilds sessions, hackathons and learning groups. On top of this, we offer plenty of fun stuff - staff discount, birthday vouchers, soft/hot drinks on tap, regular Friday drinks and of course our renowned Christmas and Summer parties. As the home of thoughtful gifts, ‘thoughtful’ is our middle name so we also love a surprise or two… (but that’s enough on that for now!)
It’s important to us that our people are well looked after, which is why we offer everyone BUPA healthcare, life insurance and a pension plan. Because having a break is important for your physical and mental wellbeing, our holiday allowance is 25 days (plus bank holidays) AND your entitlement will increase an extra day for every 2 years you spend with us.