Who are Metapack?
No we are not a packaging company – that’s Tetra Pack! We are a tech company that works with a lot of the world’s biggest ecommerce players to integrate them with over 450 carriers around the world to make delivery easy. We are a multi-tenant SaaS platform. We give them the platform to help consumers decide their delivery preference and track the parcel’s progress whilst also providing the retailer with intelligent smart decisions about how to send the parcel – all underpinned with lots of data. We work with well-known global retailers and major brands such as ASOS, Adidas, Burberry, John Lewis, Boohoo, eBay, and Zalando. In fact, we work with so many retailers and carriers it’s highly likely that you’ve interacted with us at some point when ordering goods online!
In August 2018, we were acquired by Fortune 100’s 2nd fastest growing company, stamps.com. We have super ambitious and exciting plans all centred around our tech. Metapack will play a role in shipping around 600 million parcels in 2018 and with the wider stamps.com family the number rises to 2.5bn parcels. Metapack has been growing at 40% year on year over the last 5 years and continues to grow at a rapid rate.
Why would I want to be an engineer at Metapack?
We work at scale, pace and with the latest architecture patterns and tech. We have a flat and open engineering culture where data & evidence beats opinion and hierarchy, backed by honest and frank discussions. We passionately believe in forming autonomous, cross functional teams who are empowered to deliver our ambitious strategy. With stamps.com ownership comes the ability to operate largely independently away from Board meetings and old world thinking but with the financial support of a high performing tech company. Energy and passion for our business and customers is a part of the Metapack culture – and we love working with like-minded people.
What would I be doing?
- Designing, developing and supporting great Products in a DevOps environment
- Delivering API enabled components and microservices in AWS to the highest engineering standards
- Employing the latest agile techniques to build fast, scalable, highly available and secure systems
- End to end feature development on the Java technology platform
- Set-up monitoring alerts for applications and environments
- Using technology to solve business problems with creativity & innovation
- Data driven decision making
- Continuously improving the code base and removing technical debt
- Championing automation of everything
- Delivering value to our business, our customer and ecommerce
Who are you?
- Having worked in a continuous delivery cycle and microservices architecture, you’ll write clean code
- Extensive experience of design, build and implementation of software solutions in AWS with an unwavering focus on quality
- Extensive experience of designing and delivering low latency and high throughput API fronted systems applying DDD principles
- A polyglot software engineer who is an expert at delivering software systems employing Agile, Lean and DevOps principles and able to lead the delivery of projects
- Writing automated tests (Unit, Integration...), pairing, improving code quality and Continuous Integration is in your DNA
- Employ monitoring, alerting and self-healing during design and development
- You believe that not employing Continuous Delivery is an opportunity lost to learn and deliver value to our customers
- You are passionate about the principle of complete team ownership, which covers the entire lifespan of the product and its constituent parts like code, infrastructure, out of hours support
- Using a different programming language or technology is an opportunity that you will not let you pass by
- Exploit the opportunities presented by data but also understand the pitfalls of inappropriate data management
- Able to balance the demands of delivering high quality and demanding timescales
- Hold yourself accountable to delivering on your commitments
- Your every action demonstrates that collaboration is the best way to deliver awesome products
- Experience of developing build pipelines and infrastructure automation in the cloud using Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Puppet etc
It would be great if you also could bring
- A desire to innovate and constantly challenge the norm
- Willing to attend conferences, webinars and meet-ups and share the learning
- Experience of using automation to solve complex problems e.g. Machine Learning
- Deep knowledge of the AWS products and tools.
What are the perks?
- 25 days holiday (increasing based on length of service once you have been with us for 2 years), 10% bonus (paid quarterly), pension, enhanced maternity and paternity leave, group life insurance scheme, private medical healthcare
- Discounted gym membership, cycle to work scheme, interest free season ticket loan
- Breakfast, dinner, fresh fruit, snacks and drinks
- Hardware budget to let you get what you need
- Dynamic, open culture with lots of social activities.