The core value of most B2B businesses comes from a unique insight, data or technology, not from just designing and building a great web app. That’s where Kernel comes in.
Kernel allows users to assemble their own B2B software frontend. We provide all the components a SaaS web app needs like tables, lists and graphs plus sign up, login and settings pages, so end users have a great experience. Without having to build and maintain a whole web app.
We’re looking for a founding Product Engineer to help us reach our vision where front end B2B software is easy to assemble for a non or lightly technical person and a joy for users to use.
What you'll do
- Empower business software entrepreneurs. We exist to enable more people to start, build and scale B2B companies. That's why we get out of bed every morning.
- Focus on users needs. As a Product Engineer, writing code is only one part of this role. You’ll work closely with a diverse set of users and our team to understand the range of use cases we want to support – now and in future.
- Make important technical decisions. As products grow, they need more control and customisation. Creating a great technical user experience (speed!) and an enoyable developer experience in the future will be important. Decide what the best technology decisions are to hit our objectives.
- Play a key role in our engineering process from inception to delivery. Shape the way we build our internal processes and tooling.
- Care about what is under the hood. We’re building a world class product. We need first-class technical foundations to make sure our users have a great experience.
What you’ll need
You’ll be the first Product Engineer in the company and our first employee alongside a Front-end Engineer and a Product Designer. You’ll work closely with the founders to ensure we have strong technical foundations for Kernel (we have strong but malleable opinions on this!).
This role will be a great fit if you:
- Are well versed in working as part of a multi-disciplinary product team, covering all stages of the discuss the design process from the original idea through to prototyping in Figma and iterating on a shipped product.
- Have Nodejs (or similar) backend production experience, AWS experience and been involved in React projects in a number of commercial settings.
- See communication of your thinking and decisions as important as the design work itself. You document and communicate with empathy and precision.
- Care about what is under the hood and wants to own test-driven development and how we make deployment and orchestration of updates.
- Want to blur the lines between product, engineering and design, not enforce them. You think in systems and components, are in your element pairing closely with engineers, and thrive in the fine details that distinguish a good interface from a great one.
- Enjoy the autonomy, uncertainty and unpredictability that comes with an early stage company.
This role might not be for you if you:
- Want to manage a team. Given our team growth plans, this is unlikely to be a need in the next 12-24 months.
- Have the goal of building a product because it’s cool and shiny. Our focus is on building a product that people want to use.
- Are looking to learn from other engineers. We don’t know if and how quickly the design discipline will grow, and for the time being, you’ll work mostly with a small team and us founders.
- Want all of the benefits that come with a more established tech company - free drinks and lunches, etc.
- Want a traditional product team setup, with a predictable roadmap, clearly scoped out tickets, a PM, and so forth.
Compensation and details
Share options: 0.3-0.9%
As with all ranges this is dependent on experience and we’re happy to extend this further for the right person.
We are a remote-first company (GMT+/-5). Once offices are safe to open again, we will likely have an HQ office in London for the team to use as they wish and for quarterly meetups.