Are you keen to work somewhere that’s stimulating, friendly, with countless opportunities for growth and plenty of autonomy? This could be it!
We are looking for an Engineering Manager here at INSHUR, pre-pandemic based in beautiful Brighton - sea, chips and seagulls included, and currently 100% remote. You’ll be working on a platform which covers multiple territories, including UK, New York and new European countries and US territories as we expand.
Reporting to the Head of Platform, you’d be joining a global team of 70+ people, based in both UK and US, who value:
- Inclusivity, open-mindedness, and diversity
- Autonomy to make long-term, high-impact decisions
- Delivering great results and having fun doing it
- The wellbeing of their teammates and the people around them
You’ll be joining a well-funded business at the forefront of urban mobility working closely with globally recognised partners and driving forward our mission to change the way drivers buy, and feel, about insurance, for good. We provide a friendly and stimulating environment for everyone to grow, enjoy and thrive.
What you'll do
As our Engineering Manager you will be responsible for enabling 2 high performing teams of engineers to produce their best work, through their tenure at INSHUR. You’ll oversee the engineers growth from hiring, onboarding, career development, progression, wellbeing and beyond. You will spearhead engineering and people initiatives and contribute to best practices, working closely with engineering leadership, scrum masters and the people team. This is a new role for us and a real chance to make the role your own, shaping the future of a growing startup and the people who make it.
We don’t have a checklist of skills - our recruitment is much more around aptitude and passion so don’t worry if you’ve not used a particular tool or checked off all the skills and experience listed below. However, we think the below would make you successful in this role.
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Have experience leading high performing engineering teams of developers and testers and have in the past helped grow an engineering team, ideally within a startup environment.
- Are an engineer at heart and understand software engineering well - we want to hear from people that have a background in software engineering, but we’re not hung up on the technology.
- Understand the importance of career development within a software engineering company of individual contributors and care deeply about people and their growth.
- Are passionate about diversity, and understand that a well balanced and diverse teams not only produce better results, but are the only way forward.
- Have experience in facilitating appraisals, dealing with conflict management and actioning items that may occasionally be unpopular within the team that are for the greater good of INSHUR.
- Understand the value of coaching, not micro-managing.
Your colleagues say you are:
- Someone who inspires, motivates and lifts others and someone who’s able to convey a compelling vision and gain commitment to goals.
- A great communicator, you listen and act with compassion.
- A team player, collaborative and influencing.
- Intuitive, you know how and when to act.
- Someone with a high level of emotional intelligence.
We are one of the fastest-growing and commercially proven Insurtech companies in the new insurance landscape.
Our current product is an insurance app for taxi, TLC, ride-share, private fleet and private hire drivers, enabling them to get from quote to full policy and driving in the shortest possible time with a simple click of a few buttons. We are currently live in the US, UK and NL markets and we have exciting plans to expand to new territories and add new lines of product in 2021.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a company at the forefront of urban mobility, working closely with globally recognised partners, in a well-funded business.
What we offer
We provide a friendly and stimulating environment for everyone to grow, enjoy and thrive. Our budget for this role is £65,000 to £80,000 and we will take into account your previous experience and location of work when agreeing on the final offer. Salaries are reviewed on an annual basis and we offer all our employees stock options. We've built a benefits package that invests in our employee’s long-term personal and professional growth and well-being. Here’s a sample of what that includes:
- 30 days of holiday annually in addition to bank holidays
- Private healthcare scheme for you and your family
- 13 weeks full pay parental leave regardless of your gender
- Flexibility to choose your own place of work, and flexible working hours
- Annual training allowance (no questions asked) and regular learning opportunities
- Choice of laptop, monitor and top of the range kit
- And much more…
We believe in having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age. Our office, when open, is dog, child and wheelchair-friendly and we are a family-friendly employer.
While this position is advertised as full-time, we are flexible on the specific arrangements for the right candidate and would be happy to discuss part-time, job-share or other flexible arrangements if required. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements during the interview.