We're looking for a server engineer to join the engineering team at Heroic Labs. We build an open-source, distributed, highly scalable game server called Nakama (https://github.com/heroiclabs/nakama).
We are simplifying the lives of game developers and providing an incredible technology that can be integrated into any games on any platform as easily as possible. Nakama is already powering many games, including multiple titles on the Top 50 of the app stores.
There is an ever-growing open-source community with many contributors, and third-party plugins and projects. Heroic Labs works with independent developers, mid-tier, AAA game studios and many publicly listed, Fortune 500 companies across the globe to power games that individually make over 90 billion requests per month into our infrastructure.
We skew heavily towards candidates who have professional experience with realtime, distributed systems - however if you don't have experience but feel up to the challenge, please do apply!
You love building new things. You love tinkering with new technologies. You love helping developers be more productive. You love travelling. You love devops. You love automation. You love helping customers solve problems.
Your work could be on open-source Nakama, Nakama Enterprise, open-source client libraries, Managed Cloud, LiveOps or any areas in between.
We love tinkering with new bleeding edge technologies like Kaniko, Pulumi and various research papers providing formal proofs on state-of-the-art distributed systems. We encourage you to do the same!
THINGS YOU MIGHT DO
Heroic Labs is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organisation. That said, here are some things you'll focus on:
- Work on an open-source game server loved by many developers.
- Help scale a fast-growing and unique distributed system.
- Monitor and improve infrastructure for Heroic Labs and our customers.
- Plan and build product features - directly impact how our customers can be more productive.
- Improve our developer platform - directly impact the way developers integrate Nakama into their games.
- Work in many languages to support as many platforms as possible.
- Give back to the community via open source and blog posts.
- Experiment: this is a startup so engineering innovations can change
As a part of Heroic Labs's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
You’ll also have the opportunity to directly onboard new customers, travel onsite to many parts of the world to help customers, attend conferences and meet new people. You also have the option of working from an office, co-working space, from a beach, or anywhere you like!
ABOUT HEROIC LABS
For the past four years, Heroic Labs has been on the forefront of providing cutting edge technology to the games and entertainment market. We do this because we love developers and we love games!
We always choose the right tool for the job. We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle. We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
THE WHOLE PACKAGE
Location: Anywhere on the planet with a reliable Internet connection!
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. We have an office in London (UK), but our team members are in Vancouver, Bulgaria, Texas, and Puerto-Rico!
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less).
- Stock options.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year (and observe local holidays).
- At least yearly company all-hands and getaways.
- Pick your own equipment. We recommend Macs, but we don't worry if you choose something else!
- Work with a loving team that treats everyone as family.
HOW TO APPLY
Send an email to us with your resume, and a cover letter highlighting why you'd like to join Heroic Labs.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.