Globechain is looking for a self-motivated, highly skilled senior python developer with experience in data engineering, preferably having worked on B2B marketplace / SaaS / e-commerce, interested in driving international expansion, while creating positive social impact.
We are a multi award winning reuse marketplace that connects corporate companies to charities and small businesses to redistribute unneeded items, creating social impact data (ESG data) on the giving. We focus on retail, office, construction and medical sectors and operate in UK, Spain and the US. We have won a few awards and are one of the Forbes start-up to watch in 2019. We have a vision of being global and have lots of great ideas and strategies on how to achieve this, some work and some don't. We are not afraid of failure and are going to keep thinking up and trying out our outrageous ideas.
To reduce global waste and generate social impact. Our slogan is commercial with a conscience and while we pride ourselves on making a social impact and being the leading reuse marketplace we aren't a non-profit. So how does it work you might ask? Well in simple terms, we are the eBay of reused items, connecting corporates with charities and providing ESG data.
We are looking for an experienced python developer to help us build our marketplace platform and associated services. We are looking for someone experienced in developing scalable, well-tested, and maintainable python applications using the Django framework as well as develop data engineering and machine learning applications in python. You will be part of a collaborative and growing engineering team based in our central London office that sets the direction of Globechain's core technology. If you believe you can make a difference and excel working within a small, ambitious team, we would love to hear from you.
Some of your responsibilities
- Contribute to the architecture of the site, create a global, scalable framework for future growth in collaboration with other members of the team (technical and nontechnical).
- Build backend services and APIs to serve the application front-end
- Build ETL pipelines and systems to synchronise data among various services. Build data analysis engines and machine learning / statistical analysis routines and enable visualisation and reporting services
- Be the lead contact for a feature from idea to design, implementation, testing and production deployment and support.
- Designing database schema (SQL / NoSQL), managing migrations, optimising performance and developing reporting mechanisms
- Contribute to infrastructure planning, cloud deployments, build opsec practices and reliability engineering.
Requirements (Skills and Experience)
You need to be an expert in Python programming, frameworks like Django with commercial experience in machine learning (scikit-learn) and data analysis (Pandas) libraries. You are keen to explore new technologies but know when to use the right tool for the job. You’re comfortable with the flat and self-organising nature of a small startup team. You can figure out solutions by yourself but know when to ask for help.
- 5+ years software engineering and commercial web application experience
- Data is a large part of the marketplace, so experience (5+ years) working with databases and data analysis including design and optimisation is crucial
- Comfortable in a Linux environment and scripting
- Awareness of general web/ops security concepts.
- Ability to communicate effectively, not only to understand the business needs, but also to proactively advance our architectural vision
- Experience in scaling startup environments is a plus
- Take initiative in leading, innovation and strategy
- Knowledgeable of technology landscape and advancements
- Ability and energy to work with a small growing team to build a global business
- Opportunity for personal and professional development in a fast-growing, well-funded and revenue generating startup
- Opportunity to grow into senior roles
- Opportunity to have share options at the early stages of a promising business
- Free coffee and tea :-) (Most important!)
- Half day off on your Birthday