Do you love data visualization, interactive content and modern web technologies? Are you a team player who likes solving difficult problems together? Do you want to join one of the UK’s most exciting tech start-ups and play a key role in developing an ambitious product with a global impact?
Flourish is empowering the world to visualize and tell stories with data. It enables anyone to create beautiful graphics, presentations and interactive stories without coding. Since our launch in 2018, more than 500,000 registered users have produced more than 5 million graphics, which have racked up more than ten billion views.
Our customers include leading newsrooms (such as BBC and FT), major corporates (such as Goldman Sachs and Moody’s), NGOs (Amnesty, Rockefeller) plus universities all over the world.
We’re looking for a senior developer to work on our library of visualization templates and components, which sits at the heart of the Flourish system, powering the thousands of beautiful interactive graphics created every day.
You will work across a wide range of visualization templates, from streamgraphs and radars to WebGL maps or even interactive quizzes. You’ll also work on our library of components, which provide annotations, popups, legends, axes and other crucial functionality across the various templates.
You will add new features, fix bugs, and create whole new templates and components. As a senior developer in this area, you will also make sure we have efficient processes around reliability, testing and maintenance.
You’ll take a central role in a team of talented and friendly developers, designers, project managers and researchers. You will work on projects on your own in addition to pair-programming and mob-programming. You will also mentor and manage other visualization developers and work closely with the product team.
Even though this role is focused on visualization templates and components rather than the editor platform, there should be opportunities to contribute to that too.
You are an experienced software engineer who enjoys working collaboratively and loves to learn new things. You care deeply about the quality of your work and are thoughtful about how to improve both what you’re doing and how the team works together. You’re happy to adopt existing conventions of the codebase, while having ideas for how it could evolve.
You’ll be working on tools, not one-off graphics, so it’s important that you have the discipline to solve problems properly and an instinct for technical architecture. You’ll also care about user-friendly interfaces and have an imagination for the countless ways users might make use of what you and the team are building.
You’re a friendly colleague and you work well in a close-knit team. Importantly, you’re excited by Flourish and the opportunity to make it better.
- Advanced visualization skills, e.g. with D3 or WebGL (both would be ideal)
- Ability to write code that is clean and human readable
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Git for version control, and an understanding of why clear history matters
- Experience with working practices such as test-driven development, continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Experience with agile methodologies
- Build tools such as Rollup
- An enthusiasm for learning and teaching
- A systematic approach to solving problems
- A love of the web and an interest in performance
- The ability to give feedback kindly and receive feedback
Our tech stack: Some key technologies used in templates and components are vanilla JS, D3, Less, rollup, Cypress, CircleCI, GitHub, Regl, Mapbox.js and Handlebars. We don’t expect you to have worked with all of these, but any you have are a plus.
Our company: Flourish is a small team combining decades of collective experience in development, data, design, visualization and journalism/publishing. Read more about the team
Our culture: We’re a friendly and supportive group that values kindness, honesty and fun. We’re open and try new things with enthusiasm. And we’re high-momentum, focused on delivering magical products that our users love. We socialise as a team at least once a month.
Our interview process: We make our hiring process fast and straightforward. Typically there is brief initial call followed by an online technical test. If we ask you to take this test and you are not selected, we will give you a £50 Amazon voucher to say thank you for your time. Next there is an interview stage designed to be rigorous but friendly and collaborative. We’ll ask you to do some pair-programming with us, to get a sense for how you communicate, but we don’t do stressful whiteboard coding.
Our location: We are largely a UK-based team, with a few exceptions. Our office in Shoreditch is a fun and exciting place to work. We also embrace fully remote staff, though ideally we like the whole team to gather once a month for meetings and social events.
- Remote working is welcome (the majority of our development team is remote), except for monthly meetings
- ‘Free Friday’ for developers - you can choose what to work on, as long as it’s relevant to the company’s mission
- Share options in a rapidly growing company
- 30 days’ annual holiday
- Flexible hours and respect for work/life balance (not “startup hours”)
- Regular team activities and socials
- Budget and days off for relevant conference and workshops
- Lots of potential for career progression
- Annual team retreat
- Company pension
To apply, send us:
- A brief covering letter explaining why you’re interested in this role and how you meet the criteria
- A portfolio or links to at least three projects that demonstrate the required skills
Send these to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject “Senior developer (graphics)”. Got questions about the job? Feel free to drop us a line.
We’re committed to equality and diversity in the tech industry, so we’ll be especially happy to see applications from under-represented backgrounds.
Sorry, but we won’t be able to sponsor visas for this role: please do not apply if you do not already have the right to work in the UK or The Netherlands. We are not accepting applications from recruitment agencies for this role.