We are open to remote applications, though the most of the iOS team is based in Rennes, France and so would prefer a European (or nearby) timezone.
Here are examples of some of the team's recent projects:
Since (almost) everything we do is open source you can get a great feel for exactly what it would be like to work on Element. Why not join our developer channel at #element-ios:matrix.org to provide a window into the core team and the community. Come and say hi!
The most important thing is that you believe passionately in the mission of decentralisation of the internet. More specifically that you believe that communications should not be centralised in the hands of a small number of very large organisations and instead individuals should control their own data and choose who they share it with.
We don’t have hard requirements for the role, we just want to build the best possible team, but we'd be particularly excited to speak to you if you have experience with some of the following:
- Designing and building performant, maintainable iOS applications in Swift and in Objective-C (Not all our codebase has been updated yet).
- Designing UI using the Interface Builder
- Employing established UX conventions with an eye for aesthetic design
- Working with or as part of an open source community
- Providing and receiving peer code review
- Working in an Agile/Lean development environment
Additionally we are looking for someone who is:
- Smart, curious and enthusiastic
- Passionate about building software people love
- A tireless advocate of code quality (understanding the need for trade-offs in the short term whilst keeping us honest in the long term)
- Empathetic, with both their colleagues and the end user
Why this role?
- Now is a great time to join: We’re wellfunded and have rising revenues from a host of interesting customers— from The French Government and Mozilla to others we’re not allowed to talk about yet(!).
- You’ll work on highly visible projects: Our early adopters are in the tens of millions and almost all of our work is opensource and we receive regular feedback from our community of users. We’re figuring out how to best practise ‘open design’ in open source and you’ll be able to help shape that. We also speak regularly at conferences, meetups and talks.
- You’ll be joining a small mission-led team with a supportive culture. In this role, you’ll work alongside talented Engineers, Product Designers & other senior stakeholders sharpening your skills.
Our general approach is to treat people like adults and acknowledge that by being flexible we create an environment for people to do their best work. For more details here is our manifesto. That said specific points that differentiate us include:
- Since our technology is relevant to anything that requires real-time comms, the role provides exposure to a wide range of domains from web and app dev through to VR, VoIP and IoT.
- Generous holiday allowance, private healthcare for you and your family and opportunities for development and progression as we scale.
- Family friendly environment, many of the team have small children and we look to accommodate that as best we can.
- People tend to stay with the company for a long time, we take this as a sign that we have a cohesive, supportive culture, that we have engaging challenging work and that people can develop their skills and careers here for the long term.
Element does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.