We are a diverse team from around the world, on a mission to make DuckDuckGo the company people trust most with their online privacy, and we want your help!
Join us as a Senior macOS Engineer and help shape the DuckDuckGo experience across the macOS platform.
As part of our growing team you will collaborate with team members at all levels to identify and work to close major gaps in our product offering. Examples of projects you might work on include expanding our content blocking functionality, prototyping new macOS product ideas, or experiments to improve adoption and retention of our Safari App Extension. You will take direct responsibility of macOS application features, drive improvements, and own product maintenance.
We are fully-remote, and empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their projects. If you'd thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you -- build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction - you'll fit right in!
What you will do:
- Help to identify opportunities to increase searches and enhance the standard of trust online.
- Lead projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Own major application features and take responsibility for their maintenance and improvement over time.
- Play a key role in improving the software architecture.
- Step up to resolve product issues – large and small.
- Improve applications directly by proposing and implementing mobile solutions.
- Collaborate with peers remotely during product brainstorms, technical design discussions, pair programming sessions and code reviews.
- Write pragmatic, performant, and testable code that works consistently across devices.
What we are looking for:
- Previous experience working on at least two large native macOS/iOS applications, at least one of which is macOS.
- Comfortable learning new languages and ideas.
- Application architecture experience.
- Deep understanding of software design patterns such as MVVM, MVP.
- Familiarity with concurrency, and memory management and how they apply to applications.
- Comfortable working with the different libraries and components on macOS.
- Experience collaborating with a cross-functional team including UI/UX.
- Experience or interest in project advisory, contributing strategically and/or mentoring.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels with expectations clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days). (Please note we will only hold these trips when it is safe to do so, and people feel comfortable.)
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We aim to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full time job, we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expecting an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill building.
Other reasons to love working at DuckDuckGo:
- Flexible vacation and sick leave practices
- Flexible work schedule
- Company-wide hack days
- Company and team meetups
- Open participation in company strategy
- Family leave policy
- Co-working reimbursement
- Hardware and office setup benefits
- Wellness and learning benefits
- Charitable donation matching
- US health benefits
- US 401k
- "Use good judgment" approach to company policies
DuckDuckGo provides equal work opportunities to all team members and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.