What do we do?
Dent Reality is building the ‘connective layer’ between Augmented Reality devices and the physical world.
We’ve heard from hundreds of organisations - retail stores, shopping centres, airports, train stations, hospitals, museums, hotels, universities, offices… pretty much every type of physical space you can imagine. They all want to use AR to connect with their visitors in new and powerful ways but, to date, the technical barriers have been too hard to overcome.
That’s where our unique positioning, mapping and AR technology comes in. For the first time ever, we can enable organisations to provide the ‘smart’ experience they’re so desperate to offer to their shoppers/guests/visitors.
We’re starting with grocery retail where we have a partnership with Marks and Spencer. Our technology powers personal, guided experiences for M&S shoppers, helping them find and discover products they love every time they shop. Think shopping list meets in-store navigation.
Before you go any further, take a look at this 1 min video to get a better sense of our what we’re building (sound on to hear shopper reactions).
Who are we?
We’re a small, but rapidly growing, early stage start up supported by some of the most prominent investors in technology and retail (including the ex-CTOs of Macy’s, Sainsbury’s and Tumblr; the founder of Indeed.com; and the first VC fund to invest in Oculus VR).
As a team, we’ve already built the most popular open-source project for mobile AR (4k+ stars on GitHub), enabling any developer to build world-scale AR apps. And we have decades of positioning, mapping and product development experience across organisations like Dyson, ESRI, Ordnance Survey and Shopmatic (similar to Shopify, popular in S.E. Asia).
We empower each team member with full responsibility and ownership over their work. As much as is possible, we’re happy for team members to have flexible schedules – we care about building great technology and products, not rigid rules and presentee-ism!
What will you be doing?
On a day to day basis you'll be working closely with the CEO, iOS Lead, Product Manager and the rest of the technical team on the following priorities:
- Building on our existing iOS application comprising of proprietary AR, wi-fi positioning and retail components.
- Working closely with designers and product managers to create rich and compelling features.
- Exploring, prototyping and expanding new concepts and ideas.
- Honing our app experience with debugging and refinements.
- Persistently refining and refactoring the existing code base to improve code coherence and maintainability.
- Contributing to wider discussions on app design, goals and company culture.
What you might achieve in your first 3-6 months:
- Contributing to the first release of a white label AR app, to be used by thousands of shoppers.
- Collecting and analysing usage statistics and bug reports, feeding those learnings back into technical improvements.
- Helping to design and build a commercial SDK based on the technology within our existing app.
What skills/experience are we looking for?
Below we list the skills and experience we’re looking for but a quick word of warning. If you don’t check every box, that’s OK! Please don’t talk yourself out of applying.
Overall, we’re looking for someone who is excited about our technology, our mission and can grow in their role as the company grows.
- Strong Swift skills
- Experience building complex UI with UIKit
- Experience writing unit tests and UI tests using the XCTest framework
- Understanding of MVVM architecture
- Some experience working with Xcode's profiling instruments
- An understanding of general principles of maintainable software design (e.g. SOLID) and adherence to good development practices (unit tests, documentation etc.) when appropriate
- Comfortable developing algorithms and working with complex data structures
- Ability to move fast, develop rapid prototypes and react quickly to changes when appropriate
Nice to Have Skills
- ARKit experience
- SceneKit experience
- Experience working with Combine or a similar reactive framework.
- Experience with location-based technologies, such as CoreLocation or MapKit
- Experience with current development team tools and process: Agile methodologies, Git, GitFlow, Continuous Integration
Working with us
Other than the opportunity to join one of London’s most exciting and friendly start ups we’re offering:
- £55-65k salary (depending on experience)
- Share options
- 25 days holiday per year
- Pension scheme
- We’re currently working remotely but we’re ideally looking for a candidate who is either based in London or can be in London on a weekly or bi-weekly basis for team meetings.
Dent Reality is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.