Join us on our mission to make community engagement for everyone rather than the privileged few.
Commonplace is a fast-growing Series A startup in the digital engagement space. Our best-in-class, award-winning SaaS platform provides a space where communities and organisations work together to create better places to live and work.
The Commonplace platform has hosted over 1200 community engagement projects for 150 ‘built environment’ partners. Together, we’ve reached over 3.5m people in the UK (and a few thousand abroad) and increased participation in the co-creation of better designed places,improved communities and societies.
About the role
We’re firmly on the journey to building a platform that spins up unlimited community engagement websites in an instant. Now we need your help to make it effortless and habit-forming for communities.
You’ll be building flagship features or indeed entirely new products from scratch with one hand while dancing around the existing platform spotting opportunities for optimisation with the other.
As Senior Front-End Developer at Commonplace, you will be the driver of everything UI, helping shape our community engagement platform that is used by millions of people in the UK and soon internationally to actively shape the places and the services where we live, work and relax.
Our stack: AWS, MongoDB, NodeJS, ReactJS, NextJS, Styled Components, Jest, Cypress
Some of your responsibilities include:
Create and maintain a design systems and shared component libraries used between our various applications.
Provide technical leadership, mentor and upskill engineering team members.
Work with the engineers and designers to create a consistent and reliable web experience for our customers.
- Optimise web design for mobile and other platforms for maximum speed.
- Work closely with our back-end and full-stack developers to deliver.
Skills and experience needed
- Implement solutions that are user responsive and efficient.
- Experience with testing and debugging.
- Keen eye for details and layout aesthetics.
- Great problem-solving skills and you work well in a team.
- Curious about new technologies and you're driven to find ways to implement them in your work.
- Strong troubleshooting/problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of version control systems such as Git.
- Ability to articulate technical problems to non-technical audience.
- Autonomous, tolerance to a fast paced / fast changing environment.
- Understanding of software development lifecycle – mandatory.
How we would like to see the team develop:
- Asking 'why' to the business, ensuring collaborative problem solving.
- Being laser focused on OKRs and delivering value to our users and customers.
- Speeding up development by creating / suggesting internal tools.
- Better understanding the business itself, and integrating more with other teams.
Behaviours we’d like you to demonstrate
- Proactively taking initiative to help solve technical and business problems.
- Quickly getting to know the whole application and confidently advocating creative and efficient solutions.
- Willingness to be involved in the entire stack and across the whole app, from devops to the more mundane work.
- Frequently reviewing code, mentoring and coaching less experienced engineers.
- Positively managing upwards, whilst having a good sense of when to ask for help.
- Driving the team to work at pace in an evolving startup environment.
- Advocating collaboration between engineering, product, commercial and operations teams.
Compensation and benefits
- £68,000-£75,000 salary, with a company bonus potential, and an equity component once you’ve settled in.
- Flexible holiday arrangements - we don’t limit how much you take.
- Our culture and policies offer flexibility to help you maintain a work / life balance that suits you.
- 20 days fully paid sick leave.
A tailored learning and development plan and support for professional training.
A Macbook Pro to work on.
Our team is proud of our supportive and inclusive culture, and we are committed to making Commonplace welcoming to everyone who comes to work with us. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Collaborating to make better decisions, faster.
- Accelerating growth in sales, customer value and community impact.
- Acting with integrity to make fair decisions and be kind to each other.
- Being brave in the way that we shape the future.
Apply for the job
Do you want to join our team as our new Senior Front-End Developer? Then we'd love to hear about you!