We're open to hearing from fully/partially remote or London-based candidates, as we work from everywhere within GMT +2 hours’.
Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. We are using technology and data science to build the world’s leading and most loved flower company. We’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are Europe’s largest direct to consumer flower company, are growing at 100% year on year and are in a strong position financially (and have been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the Covid-19 crisis).
We’ve raised multiple rounds of venture capital and private equity funding, have been named one of the 5 fastest-growing tech companies in Europe, and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
Technology at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now over 130 people. Our current stack is deployed in the AWS cloud and consists of a mixture of technologies including but not limited to:
- ECS Fargate for our backend services
- Lambda functions powering both public facing APIs as well as internal microservices and tooling
- RDS for our relational databases, DynamoDB for some of our serverless projects
- S3 for storage
- Redshift, Firehose, Data Pipeline, SageMaker, Snowflake and others to fulfill the needs of our Data Team
- CodeBuild and CodePipeline for our CI and CD pipelines
- Terraform as a tool for Infrastructure as Code
In order to ensure that our infrastructure is as moden, scalable and secure as possible we want to boost our team with a DevOps Engineer .
You can read more about our technology and culture over on our tech blog - Code & Wild
The role and ways of working
As a member of the team you will be responsible for selecting, implementing and supporting tools and solutions needed to keep our data and infrastructure moving. You’ll work with other engineers and data scientists to define and implement our operations procedures and best practices for our internal and external customer-facing systems across the entire platform. You will actively help to implement and roll-out our PaaS solutions, build self-service tooling, improve processes and infrastructure to support our teams across B&W. You will also be responsible for ensuring that the needs and considerations of our Data Team are represented in our platform strategy, by helping move data around and assist in the CI/CD pipelines for Machine Learning models, ETL processes and integrations with external data solutions like Snowflake.
We expect you to proactively identify, investigate, resolve and mitigate any service impacting events.
You’ll have hands-on experience of building and maintaining large-scale projects within Technical Operations as well as commercial experience working with Docker and other container technologies, AWS services, and Infrastructure as Code technologies like Terraform or CloudFormation.
As a keen collaborator, you’ll enjoy working with a diverse Engineering and Data Science teams, helping them support and manage B&W infrastructure & tooling and helping them build up and maintain our platform with focus on maintainability, resilience, performance and efficiency. You'll have good communication skills and the ability to clearly explain your work to engineers and data scientists alike.
You’ll naturally and actively seek to improve the process, tooling, and architecture of the underlying infrastructure and capabilities to give our customers a great experience.
You have experienced DevOps culture and processes.
You have a good understanding of Agile Software Development practices.
Nice to have
- Experience working with Data Engineers, Analytics and Data Scientists.
- Experience with Snowflake or similar commercial Data Warehouse solutions.
- Experience working with agile, tech start-ups or scale-ups.
- Experience working with companies manufacturing or fulfilling physical products.
- Commercial experience with Docker & Fargate.
- Familiarity with Python and/or Ruby development languages.
- Previous experience working for an e-commerce business.
Knowledge of monitoring and alerting technologies.
Currently, our full team is working from home and adapting quickly to being totally remote. In addition to our normal perks and benefits, we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Twice weekly online yoga class and access to ClassPass workout content
- Birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions celebrated with the team
- Weekly ‘team drinks trolley’, activities and opportunities to socialize
- Remote lunch and learns
- Wellbeing support through online coaching sessions and employee assistance program
- New slack channels and ways of creating community remotely
- Specialist online support to talk about the challenges we are facing in the current environment
- Spill - sessions to qualified therapists for mental health support
We apply our five key values of delight, customer first, care, innovation, and pride in our day to day activities (find out more here) and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Return to work and our new normal
The safety and wellbeing of our team is our primary concern during this period, and our return to our beautiful, flower-filled office will be gradual, considered, and only when our team feels safe to do so.
Whilst recognizing that some of our team will prefer to work in our office, this period has proven that our team can embrace remote work extremely successfully and our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work into our ways of working.
When we’re in the office:
Our lovely, light, and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, startup culture, with employee-friendly policies such as:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totaling 34 days, per annum. There is also the option to buy an extra 5 days holiday
- Choose your laptop and any extra equipment you need to do your best work
- Free breakfast, snacks, and team lunches
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare Vouchers
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Family Friendly Policy - including enhanced family friendly packages and a salary sacrifice childcare scheme
- Pension Contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lunch & Learns
- Discounted blooms
- Bloom & Go Wild trips - most recently we went to Paris!
See more on what it’s like to work at Bloom & Wild here.
Our Recruitment Process
Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 the interview process will be conducted remotely. This will involve an interview with the hiring manager, Principal Developer and data scientists.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know here.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team - so we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.