Bloom & Wild is reinventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. We are using technology and data science to build the world’s leading and most loved flower company. We’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are Europe’s largest direct to consumer flower company, are growing at 100% year-on-year and are in a strong position financially (and have been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the Covid-19 crisis).
We’ve raised multiple rounds of venture capital and private equity funding, have been named one of the 5 fastest growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times’ Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
Data Science at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now over 140 people. Data Science sits within our tech and product organisation and collaborates closely with product managers, a separate business intelligence team, back-end engineers and our CRM and operations teams. We will be growing our existing team of 4 data scientists significantly over the coming months and we are currently looking for 2 data scientists and a data engineer. With millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of monthly transactions, we have a large and growing dataset that we use for training machine learning models.
Our data is stored in a data warehouse built on Snowflake and we use AWS technologies such as Lambda and SageMaker to deploy our models.
T****he Data Science team is currently focused on:
- Building out our Bloom & Wild bespoke recommendation engine - we have to address particular complexities such as having a perishable product with a slower replenishment cycle than consumption cycle and having user preferences that vary based on the gift recipient and the purchase occasion.
- Driving our use of marketing and promotional strategies to balance out supply and demand at an aggregate and individual (user and item) level.
- Using machine learning to improve our end-to-end operational processes such as demand forecasting, optimising operations in our recently launched fulfilment centre and optimising delivery schedules in conjunction with carrier partners.
- Exploring opportunities to build out a recommendation-as-a-service API with a view to rolling this out across further categories as our business expands, and ultimately to commercialising this for 3rd parties.
The role and ways of working
- As a member of our Data Science team, you will use your skills, initiative and ideas to optimise existing as well as design and implement new data flows for ingesting and transforming multiple data sources into our data platform, with a focus on Snowflake.
- You will be delivering data solutions with agreed organisational standards to insure that our capabilities are resilient, scalable and future-proof.
- You will be responsible for developing and documenting our data architecture.
- You will advise the business on how to collect data to provide datasets for future data science projects.
- You will be responsible for managing the data pipeline that powers the work our BI team is doing, balancing working on the long term roadmap with and implementing changes with immediate impact.
- You will be creating tests for validating data quality and the stability of our data platform, and maintaining alerting systems to ensure smooth operations across all of our datasets.
- The role will suit someone who is looking for a career opportunity in a fast-paced, start-up environment and is looking to make an immediate impact.
- You will bring energy and positivity to the role, looking for every opportunity to learn and craft the role around our values; care, pride, customer first, innovation and delight.
- At least 3 years of data engineering experience
- Proficiency with relational SQL
- Python skills
- Experience with cloud data warehousing solutions
- Strong understanding of ETL and ELT processes
- Experience with large datasets
- Data pipelining and automation
- Understanding of emerging trends in data tools and usage.
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate with non-technical people
Nice to Have
- Experience working in e-commerce
- Commercial experience with Snowflake
- Experience with dbt
- Experience with orchestration pipelines like Airflow and Luigi
- Cloud experience with AWS, Azure or GCP
Currently our full team is working from home and adapting quickly to being totally remote. In addition to our normal perks and benefits we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Regular virtual yoga classes with more virtual exercise variety to come!
- Celebrating birthdays with letterbox cake
- Weekly “team drinks trolleys” and updates from our founder
- Remote lunch and learns
- Supporting our wellbeing through online support sessions and employee assistance program
- New Slack channels and ways of communicating including wellbeing channels
- Specialist online support to talk about the challenges we are facing in the current environment
We apply our five key values of delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride in our day to day activities and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Return to work and our new normal
The safety and wellbeing of our team is our primary concern during this period and our return to our beautiful, flower filled office will be gradual, considered and only when our team feels safe to do so.
Whilst recognising that some of our team will prefer to work in our office, this period has proven that our team can embrace remote work extremely successfully and our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work into our ways of working.
We're proud to hold an A-rated sponsor license, so we can assign certificates of sponsorship. This means we can support applications from anywhere as long as the job is deemed suitable under the points based system
When we’re in the office:
Our lovely, light and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, startup culture, with employee-friendly policies such as:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum. There is also the option to buy an extra 5 days holiday
- Choose your laptop and any extra equipment you need to do your best work
- Free breakfast, snacks and team lunches
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare Vouchers
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Family Friendly Policy - including enhanced family friendly packages and a salary sacrifice childcare scheme
- Pension Contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lunch & Learns
- Discounted blooms
- Bloom & Go Wild trips - most recently we went to Paris!
See more on what it's like to work at Bloom & Wild.
Our recruitment process
The first step is a phone call with our Talent Partner. Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19, this will be followed by two remote interviews with members of our Data Science, Business Intelligence and Tech teams, with a short take-home technical assessment between them. The final stage will be a call with Aron, our CEO and Founder.
Your application experience is important to us and we are keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team - so we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.